Saturday, February 27, 2010

Disturbia

These are the pictures I saw on one of the many bulletin boards in our campus back in college. It was already late in the evening when we passed by that corridor and my friends made me see these pictures. I never thought it would haunt and disturb me so much that day I laid my eyes on it.



This picture won the Pulitzer Prize for Feature Photography on May 23, 1994. Sudan by that time is suffering from famine and political unrest. The child who is a girl was crawling her way to a food center while a vulture lands nearby ready to make the girl its prey.




Another disturbing still scene. A child washing his hair against the pouring pee of this cow. There is another photo wherein a child was pressing its mouth against the back of a cow. Waiting for something to come out just to feed his grumbling stomach.



He is Kevin Carter who won the Pulitzer Prize. He took the girl's picture fumbling her way to a food center. This award-winning picture earned him criticism of being a cold-hearted photographer who have the guts to take picture of the suffering girl and not even helping her.

Kevin Carter committed suicide on July 24, 1994. Here is his death note:


"I am depressed ... without phone ... money for rent ... money for child support ... money for debts ... money!!! ... I am haunted by the vivid memories of killings and corpses and anger and pain ... of starving or wounded children, of trigger-happy madmen, often police, of killer executioners...I have gone to join Ken if I am that lucky."



Source:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kevin_Carter

No comments:

Post a Comment